Our next meeting will be June 10 at 7pm. Jim Cosgrove will present An Experiment in Dividend Investing.
Jim will cover:
- The attraction of dividend focused investing.
- Who are the Dividend Aristocrats?
- Selecting benchmarks.
- Portfolio management rules.
- Behavioral challenges.
- Outcomes for Year One.
- What’s next?
The following meeting will be July 15 and the topic will be Vanguard’s Principles for Investing Success.
We will not meet in August.
Our meetings in 2019:
May 13, 2019: Working with a Financial Planner.
April 22, 2019: What we learned about taxes this year.
- Barbara Briseno spoke about tax tools and tax preparation.
- Alan Baker spoke about tax law changes, gifts, and charitable donations.
March 11, 2019: Diversification, Asset Allocation, and Rebalancing
- Thomas Wang’s bio and notes on diversification
- Alan Baker’s bio and notes on asset allocation
- Yateendra Kulkarni’s bio and notes on rebalancing
- Moderator Jim Cosgrove’s bio
February 11, 2019: International Investing
Arun Koparkar’s slides are here.
January 10, 2019: Planning for Health Care Costs.
Handouts plus Questions and Answers
- Jeanne Texeira: Medicare
- Amit Jain: Health Care Overview
- Harry Sit: Healthcare Without an Employer (Before Medicare)
- Jim Cosgrove: Household Healthcare Costs
- Siva Uppalapati: Worst Case Scenario
- Questions and responses from the panel
Our panel was moderated by Jean Sloan. Our panelists were:
- Jeanne Texeira recently retired and focused on Medicare.
- Amit Jain has researched why insurance costs are so opaque.
- Harry Sit has written several pertinent posts on his widely-read finance blog. He covered how to select a “non-group” plan at pre-Medicare age, the choices, costs, and how to use ACA coverage.
- Jim Cosgrove shared real data on post-retirement costs over two decades, a rare opportunity to get a view of the actual trends in costs.
- Siva Uppalapati outlined the worst-case scenario for health insurance costs.
Our meetings in 2018:
- January 30 at 7:00 PM at the Saratoga Library. Alan Baker presents Avoiding Fraud and Identity Theft by Securing Your Digital Assets
- February 17 at 11:30 AM at Harry’s Hofbrau. Roundtable discussion following up on January’s topic. There’s more info on the Bogleheads forum.
- March 12 at 7:00 PM at the Saratoga Library. The topic is Achieving Early Retirement Through Financial independence. More detailed information can be found on the Bogleads forum. Topics include:
- Living below your means
- How to access retirement funds early without paying penalties
- Why a very long retirement (50+ years) doesn’t require much more money than a 20-30 year retirement
- Healthcare planning`
- April 19 at 7:00 at Merrill Gardens in Campbell. Panelists Rick Huang, Greg Dietrich, and Thomas Wang opined on: How are you preparing for the next bear market? The meeting notes are here.
- May 10 at 7:00 at Merrill Gardens in Campbell–an Investors’ Roundtable panel and Q&A. The meeting notes are here.
- June 14 at 7:00. The speaker was Maureen O’Connell, JD on What You Need to Know About Estate Planning
- July 16 at 7:00. TWO topics: Wild Cards and Black Swans: What are they and how to prepare – by Arun Koparkar AND Treasury Securities by Jim Cosgrove. Jim’s presentation is here.
- September 20 at 7:00. Jim Cosgrove presented Creating Your Financial Wellness Checklist.
- November 12 at 7:00. Steve Yang led a review and discussion of Ray Dalio’s book, “Principles for Navigating Big Debt Crises”. Steve’s review is here. The book is available as a free download here.
Our meetings in 2015 – 2017 are here.
The URL shortner for this page is https://bit.ly/2DXUmHt